Friday, January 1, 2010

Crack the management paradigm:--How?

A few days back someone developing a leadership program walked up to me for suggestions. I asked her the following questions and then gave her my view and solution.

Q: What will make the difference: change or transformation?
A: She said personally I feel it is transformation.

Q: What tools are you offering to them to bring about the required transformation?
A: Workshops on what culture means, how the leader should manage people...

I smiled and she asked me what is your thought..
I said: Have you considered offering a tool such as Yoga. She said why do you say that?
My Answer:
If a leader cannot manage their self, how can they manage a team/organization? If a leader is unable to control their own responses to situations and simply pass the pressures down which keep getting pushed down they reach the lowest level where they lack both experience and tools to handle the situation. This leads to inefficiency.

Having said that it is important that pure and effective yoga tools are introduced and offered to the leaders or budding leaders. Yoga to be effective and enabling has to be learned from a good teacher.

For example, it is good to know or read or understand that one should control their anger, manage upwards, and handle bosses pressure and the team's expectations. Let’s not compete (similar stuff is in the book--What got you here cannot get you there?) But if as a human I do not have the tools to make that transformation that shift within then I am not only fooling myself, but the people around, and as a result causing inefficiency.
Think about this. Have you really ever tried anything apart from words, principles, and quotes and then make that change at intellectual level; Must have been very tiring.

1 comments:

Vahideh said...

Interesting Sonia:)
As a leadership coach how do you offer a tool like yoga to a manager,CEO or any leader?
Look forward to read more from you